Monday, November 21, 2005

Feature Profile: Kelly Marino



I'll probably get in trouble for this. Regular readers of this blog may be familiar with the tale of Kelly Marino, a good friend of mine who performed an act of emotional betrayal on yours truly. (I don't have a recent photo of her, so I used an image of a desk, which is a good example of what her personality was like). Basically, she started dating a co-worker of ours and when they became engaged, she turned to me one day and said: i don't need you as my friend anymore.

I shit you not. she actually said this to me out of the blue. I like to think I had been a good friend to her; we did homework together, watched movies, I brought her popcicles when she had her adnoids out, etc. Stood by her through thick and thin (illnesses, emotional crises, etc).

And that's how it ended. Kelly passed away* shortly thereafter. I'm pretty sensitive to stuff like this, so I took it quite hard when she just ENDED our friendship like that.

* she was skiing in colorado when a 747 jet liner slammed into the slope she was on, destroying everything in a 1 mile radius.**

** she didn't really die, that's just what I tell people. She's dead to me. She lives in Ohio.

So yes, I hold grudges, I'm pretty fragile, I'm a jerk. These are not things I'm proud of. Kelly was a friend of mine. There were many before her, there will be many after.

If you're reading this and you happen to be a friend of mine: Thank you for being that friend.

I'll be sulking today, if anyone needs to get a hold of me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

not how i would have dealt with this, but if it helps you get on with things, more power to you. i just hope you don't intentionally hurt anyone who didn't intend to hurt you. because that's just low.

Kalisa said...

huh. Ya know, I can't really find fault with Kelly, b/c as much as it pains me to admit this, I did the same thing to my friend Mary Ann Rotchford...IN THE FOURTH GRADE.

It was my birthday actually...I must have been what? Nine? and I just woke up and thought, "I think I'll change all my friends starting today." And I told Mary Ann that I didn't want to be her friend anymore.

Luckily, Mrs. Kinnamon stepped in and we were speaking again before the day was over.