Monday, November 21, 2005

Feature Profile: Kelly Marino



I'll probably get in trouble for this. Regular readers of this blog may be familiar with the tale of Kelly Marino, a good friend of mine who performed an act of emotional betrayal on yours truly. (I don't have a recent photo of her, so I used an image of a desk, which is a good example of what her personality was like). Basically, she started dating a co-worker of ours and when they became engaged, she turned to me one day and said: i don't need you as my friend anymore.

I shit you not. she actually said this to me out of the blue. I like to think I had been a good friend to her; we did homework together, watched movies, I brought her popcicles when she had her adnoids out, etc. Stood by her through thick and thin (illnesses, emotional crises, etc).

And that's how it ended. Kelly passed away* shortly thereafter. I'm pretty sensitive to stuff like this, so I took it quite hard when she just ENDED our friendship like that.

* she was skiing in colorado when a 747 jet liner slammed into the slope she was on, destroying everything in a 1 mile radius.**

** she didn't really die, that's just what I tell people. She's dead to me. She lives in Ohio.

So yes, I hold grudges, I'm pretty fragile, I'm a jerk. These are not things I'm proud of. Kelly was a friend of mine. There were many before her, there will be many after.

If you're reading this and you happen to be a friend of mine: Thank you for being that friend.

I'll be sulking today, if anyone needs to get a hold of me.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bookspan Enters Blogosphere, Adds RSS Feeds
Bookspan has launched its first blog -- for its conservative book club American Compass -- and is ... Bookspan, a partnership of Bertelsmann AG and Time Warner Inc.
Find out how to buy and sell anything, like things related to georgia highway construction on interest free credit and pay back whenever you want! Exchange FREE ads on any topic, like georgia highway construction!

Anonymous said...

not how i would have dealt with this, but if it helps you get on with things, more power to you. i just hope you don't intentionally hurt anyone who didn't intend to hurt you. because that's just low.

strength9tyrant said...

You know what's low? Recent gas prices. PLEASE. I think she probably intended to hurt you. You should go on telling people she is dead. It is ironic however that she now lives in hell on earth (I meant Ohio). Just a slip of the tongue.

kalisah said...

huh. Ya know, I can't really find fault with Kelly, b/c as much as it pains me to admit this, I did the same thing to my friend Mary Ann Rotchford...IN THE FOURTH GRADE.

It was my birthday actually...I must have been what? Nine? and I just woke up and thought, "I think I'll change all my friends starting today." And I told Mary Ann that I didn't want to be her friend anymore.

Luckily, Mrs. Kinnamon stepped in and we were speaking again before the day was over.